Cornbread with Ground Beef & Jalapeno
- 1 lb. ground meat
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 lb. cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 jalapenos, chopped
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn drained
- 1/4 cup oil for cornbread
In a medium pan add a small amount of oil cook the meat about 10 to 15 minutes until brown. Drain and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs and milk and stir until blended. Add the oil and stir well. Then add the drained corn and peppers.
Grease a 9×9 casserole dish. Layer 1/2 of the cornmeal mixture on the bottom of the dish, then the browned ground meat, the uncooked onion, followed by the cheese and top with the remaining cornmeal mixture.
Bake at 425 degrees 20 minutes until brown or until toothpick comes out clean.
Method 2 – Grease a 9×9 casserole dish. Layer 1/2 of the cornmeal mixture on the bottom of the dish, then the browned ground meat, the uncooked onion and top with the remaining cornmeal mixture. Bake at 425 degrees 20 minutes until brown or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and immediately top with the cheddar cheese, place back in oven to finish melting the cheese.
White Bean Chili
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, finely chopped
- 1-tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound collard greens, stemmed and roughly chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green chiles (fresh or canned)
- 1-quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Light sour cream, chopped tomatoes and/or lime wedges, for garnish
In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until slightly softened. Add the chicken, cumin, oregano, white pepper and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and 1 to 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring, until the chicken is slightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the collard greens and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are slightly wilted, about 5 minutes.
Add the chiles and chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 20 minutes, until slightly thickened. Stir in the beans and cook for another 10 minutes. Stir in the cilantro.
Transfer the chili to bowls and garnish with light sour cream, chopped tomatoes and/or lime wedges.