STAGE RIGHT of Texas, resident theatre company at the historic Crighton Theatre, is here to bring you some certainty in a rather uncertain world. Here is what we are certain of:
- We will get thru this. If we all pull together and follow recommendations regarding hygiene and social distancing we can get past this. We need to help each other. Our lives and the lives of our loved ones depend on us working together. We, as a theatre company, will also get thru this: STAGE RIGHT of Texas was founded during the economic slump of 2008. We started in tough times. We started with nothing. Our goal was to provide the Crighton Theatre with the steady dependable income of a resident theatre company. Here we are 12 years later. We provide over 100K/year income to the Crighton, we own our own property in downtown Conroe free and clear where we are planning to build our own rehearsal facility, we have a huge inventory of props, costumes, tools, set pieces, theatrical drops, etc. Most importantly, we have volunteers that have donated 1000’s of hours of their time and talent to help us create magic on the Crighton stage. If you took away every physical asset we own and left us our volunteers; we’d still survive. So, fear not, STAGE RIGHT of Texas will survive. There are other theatre companies that are not doing well right now; they have paid salaried staff (we have none), they have monthly bills for rent of their space (we pay rental for storage space but the Crighton is not charging us rent when we don’t use the facility). So, we ask you to please help our home: the Crighton Theatre. We have not been able to provide expected income due to the postponement of our production of M*A*S*H; and many other Spring events at the Crighton have been postponed yet the Crighton still has bills to pay. Please consider making a donation to the Crighton Theatre at this time. Visit their website to find out how: www.crightontheatre.org.
- The Crighton Theatre, Crown Jewel of Montgomery County, will shine even brighter than when you last saw her! While we have all been staying safe and practicing social distancing, the renovation project at the Crighton has continued. During our production of Thoroughly Modern Millie, our patrons saw the first step in the renovation process: installation of a sprinkler system, removal of the slick ramp of tile and installation of steps, renovation of the bathroom downstairs to a new ADA compatible one, removal of the old kitchen/concession area, and new box office construction. The work next door on the space that will become the expanded lobby, concessions area and downstairs bathrooms is proceeding. New soil has been brought in, trenching for water and electric has begun, and pouring the foundation is to take place soon. Also completed is a new gentle ramp entrance from the street up to the sidewalk in front of the theatre. The silver metal ramp is gone and replaced by a large ramp area right in front of the theatre doors – no more huge step up to the sidewalk from street level!
- First chance we get; we will entertain you! When we are given the all clear, we will be ready to take the stage. Our production of M*A*S*H was postponed till June 4-20 of 2021. We transferred all of the tickets bought for the weekends in April 2020 to June of 2021. As of the deadline for this article at the beginning of April, our production of Peter Pan is still scheduled to take place in July. We are planning to conduct auditions for the show online. We have also figured out a way to rehearse the show online for as long as we need to. If we are unable to present Peter Pan in July due to restrictions on gathering, we will most likely bump it later in the summer if we can find dates or into our next season in September and it will take the place of The Odd Couple. At the time I write this, we just don’t know, but we do know, as soon as we are able, we will present a show. Here is what is on the horizon, with the dates planned as of early April:
- Lyrics by Carolyn Leigh
- Music by Morris “Moose” Charlap
- Additional Lyrics by Betty Comden Adolph Green
- Additional Music by Jule Styne
- Based on the play by Sir J. M. Barrie
- Directed by Sara Preisler
Performances: July 10-26, 2020 Fridays & Saturdays at 8 pm, Sundays at 2 p m and an added matinee July 25 at 2 pm.
Based on J.M. Barrie’s classic tale and featuring an unforgettable score by Morris “Moose” Charlap and Jule Styne with lyrics by Carolyn Leigh and Betty Comden and Adolph Green, Peter Pan is one of the most beloved and frequently performed family favorites of all time. This high-flying Tony Award-winning musical has been performed around the world and delighted audiences for 60 years.
Peter and his mischievous fairy sidekick, Tinkerbell, visit the nursery of the Darling children late one night and, with a sprinkle of pixie dust, begin a magical journey across the stars that none of them will ever forget. In the adventure of a lifetime, the travelers come face to face with a ticking crocodile, a fierce Indian tribe, a band of bungling pirates and, of course, the villainous Captain Hook. Featuring the iconic songs, “I’m Flying,” “I’ve Gotta Crow,” “I Won’t Grow Up” and “Never Never Land,” and a rousing book full of magic, warmth and adventure, Peter Pan is the perfect show for the child in all of us… who dreamed of soaring high and never growing up.
Our 2020-2021 Season of Screen to Stage:
Sept 11 – 27, 2020 – The Odd Couple by Neil Simon
The story of two divorced men – neurotic neat-freak Felix Ungar and fun-loving slob Oscar Madison – who decide to live together. Can two divorced men lived together without driving each other crazy?
Oct 23- Nov 8, 2020 – Nunsense by Dan Goggin
The Little Sisters of Hoboken discover that their cook, Sister Julia, Child of God, has accidentally poisoned 52 of the sisters, and they are in dire need of funds for the burials. The 5 remaining sisters decide that the best way to raise the money is to put on a variety show with riotous results.
Dec 4 – 20, 2020 – Elf-The Musical Based on the motion picture of the same name, with a score by Matthew Sklar and Chad Beguelin. The book is adapted by Bob Martin and Thomas Meehan from the 2003 film.
Buddy, a young orphan, mistakenly crawls into Santa’s bag of gifts and is transported to the North Pole. The would-be elf is raised, unaware that he is actually a human, until his enormous size and poor toy-making abilities cause him to face the truth. With Santa’s permission, Buddy embarks on a journey to New York City to find his birth father, discover his true identity, and help New York remember the true meaning of Christmas.
Feb 12-28, 2021– Funny Girl Book by Isobel Lennart, music by Jule Styne, and lyrics by Bob Merrill.
A musical theatre classic which celebrates the exuberant and elegant flavor of Broadway in the 1910s and 20s and the comic genius of Fanny Brice. Featuring such beloved songs as “People”, “Don’t Rain on My Parade”, and “Sadie, Sadie.”
Apr 9-25, 2021 – Leaving Iowa- A Comedy about Family Vacations by Tim Clue and Spike Manton
Hilarious and poignant. A show suitable for ages 10 to 110, “Leaving Iowa” is a postcard to anyone who has ever found themselves driving alone on a road, revisiting fond memories of their youth. A celebration of the dreaded and beloved ‘family vacation.’
Jul 9-25, 2021 – The Wizard of Oz (RSC version 1987) by L. Frank Baum adapted by John Kane from the motion picture screenplay for the Royal Shakespeare Company. With music and lyrics from the MGM motion picture score by Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg, Background music by Herbert Stothart
Dorothy lives on a farm in Kansas until a cyclone arrives, and picks her, her house, and her dog Toto up and deposits them in the land of Oz. There with the aid of the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion she travels to Oz so the Wizard may send her home again, because there’s no place like home.
Single tickets to Peter Pan can be purchased online at www.stage-right.org or by calling the Crighton box office. Season Tickets for our upcoming season can be purchased by calling the Crighton Theatre box office at 936-441-7469. All 6 shows are only $125. Season tickets are your best investment if you intend to attend multiple shows in our fantastic line-up. In addition to your tickets for each show, we also provide one Friends Ticket for each season package purchased. That way you can invite a friend to join you to see one show during the season for free. Your seats will be reserved for the next season, your name will be in every playbill and you can always change the date of attendance for free! We hope you’ll consider joining us for our lucky 13th Season at the historic Crighton Theatre!
Please keep up with the most current information regarding dates for shows on our website: www.stage-right.org or the Crighton Theatre website www.crightontheatre.org. Please keep safe, stay well and we look forward to seeing you all at the Crighton soon!
Stage Right of Texas