Ghosts, Goblins, Pumpkins & Paws…ASVT
What are you doing the month of October? Getting ready for Halloween? This is one of the biggest times of the year. So, think about what you can do besides ghosts and goblins.
ANIMAL SHELTER VOLUNTEERS OF TEXAS (ASVT) helps hundreds of animals in our community throughout the year. Stray animals continue to be turned into shelters and go unclaimed. Owners who no longer care for their pets also turn them into our local shelters. The animal shelters remain full. OUR MISSION is to help improve the lives of every animal in our community.
It looks as easy as it is. It just takes the dedication of people like all of you out there to donate time to help the animals of our community.
We get calls and emails every day to help animals in need. On the side of the road injured, running in the street, puppies in a box by a dumpster; and the cruelty and neglect goes on and on. We can only help by taking an animal into our program if we have a committed foster.
Carmen and Her Puppies!
The case of this mama and her four puppies that came into Montgomery County Animal Shelter is a sad beginning that ended in a good place. They were sent to us to see if we could take them and we tagged them right away. One of our fosters picked up the puppies the next day, and because we never leave a mama behind, another foster picked up the mama after her spay. She was named Carmen!
Meet Carmen, mama of the four puppies.
Meet Choo Choo, Charo, Cookie and Chubby Bear. They look to be Mini Aussie/Dachshund mixes. Submit your application today!
Sponsorships help offset some of the costs of medical care so ASVT can continue to help other dogs and cats in need. Other sponsorship opportunities include participating in our annual fundraisers.
ASVT is a nonprofit 501c3 animal welfare organization. 100% of our funding is from individual and corporate donations and grants from other animal welfare groups. No one takes a salary so all the money donated is used to help dogs and cats who have been abused, abandoned or neglected.
Our organization provides medical expenses for the animals we help. This includes:
• Spay/neuter surgeries, vaccinations, microchips, wormers, flea and heartworm preventatives.
• Medications to treat skin problems like mange and ringworm or respiratory issues like kennel cough and feline upper respiratory infections.
• Lifesaving procedures including heartworm, parvovirus and distemper treatments.
• Surgeries such as hip replacement, setting broken bones, amputations, extracting infected teeth and removing tumors.
ASVT also sponsors a Spay/Neuter Program for community animals whose owners need assistance altering their pets. This helps decrease the rise of community puppies and kittens that end up in the shelters.
Now you know all about the work ASVT does for the animals of our community. Something to think about the next time you see a small kitten or dog on the side of the road.
Not Ready To Adopt Yet?
You can sponsor $100 of the adoption fee for one of our foster pets who have been waiting a long time for a home. Just visit our website and use the DONATE button to send the $100 and note its to sponsor toward the adoption fee.
Keep Your Pets Safe…
Halloween is a fun, family time but can be scary and dangerous for our pets. Some tips to think about for your pets:
• Watch the treats. Candy can be very harmful to pets, even poisonous. Make sure your candy is out of reach from even the highest jumping cat or counter surfing dog.
• Watch the decorations and wires. Animals will eat wires and decorations that are easily accessible. If your pet ingests a foreign object, contact your vet ASAP.
• Keep pets away from the door. Every time your door opens to a goblin or a ghost, your pet can slip out the door without you even knowing it.
• Instead of having your pet join you trick or treating, consider keeping your pet at home. Costumes, loud noises, doorbells and new people can scare them.
• Identification is key. As always, the best thing you can do for your pet is to ensure he is wearing identification and is microchipped. Make sure your contact information is current and you know where your local animal shelter is located in case your animal gets lost.
All pets shown in this article are available for adoption.
KROGER PLUS CARD
Kroger grocery stores will donate a percentage of your purchases to ASVT. Every time you shop, be sure to use your Kroger Plus Card or Alt-ID at checkout.
Use the link below to sign in or create a Kroger account. When you edit your Kroger Community Rewards information, be sure to enter ASVTs NPO# HJ136. THANK YOU Kroger shoppers!
CAN YOU HELP US HELP THEM?
ADOPT, SPONSOR, FOSTER, DONATE!
You can visit our website to sign up to foster. You can donate using our DONATE button. Donations help us pay for medical expenses, food, supplies and transporting animals to areas with high adoption needs.
ASVT also sponsors a Spay/Neuter Program for community animals whose owners cannot afford to have their pets altered. This helps decrease the rise of community puppies and kittens that will end up in the shelters.
The accomplishments of ASVT would not be possible without partners like Ransom’s Steakhouse, Bruce and Toni Sellers, Animal Hospital of Montgomery, Dock Line Magazine and so many more.