Summer is over and far is here…well, sort of. Here in Texas the heat index is still around 100 degrees and the electric bill is showing us just how much we love and appreciate our A/C. But the season, if not the weather, is changing. How are you going to make the most out of the fall season? Read more for tips on preparing yourself to enjoy the fall!
Do a “Fall Cleaning”
You’ve heard of a spring cleaning, but what about fall? Now is the time to get your home ready for fall. Deep cleaning now leaves you with a clean home and more time to enjoy all that fall has to offer later, rather then cleaning cobwebs and changing your air filter.
Tips for you fall cleaning checklist:
- Make a checklist. You will feel a sense of accomplishment when you check off each box which can be your incentive for getting the cleaning done.
- Go room by room. Finish each room before moving on to the next. It is easy to get distracted. If you decide to empty the trash bins from every room, you leave one room unfinished. Then you go into another room and start a project there and so on.
- Don’t forget your car. Clean out all the stuff that has found its way to the car’s floorboard, trunk and underneath the seats. Then take it to get washed. Something extra: Get a fall scented air freshener for the car.
- Look outside. The garage and outdoors need attention, too. It is time to put away or winterize the pool and get the fire-pit ready! Take the time to clean your patio furniture as well.
Make a fall bucket list
Don’t you hate it when you go online to buy tickets for that pumpkin patch and it was last weekend. Sad day! Making memories with your family in the fall is a cinch, if you plan ahead.
Ten things you will definitely want on your fall bucket list:
- Visit a pumpkin patch or corn maze
- Go apple picking
- Attend a harvest festival
- Carve a jack-o-lantern
- Take a fall foliage tour
- Have a bonfire
- Go to a football game
- Family photo shoot
- Jump in a pile of leaves
- Visit the Renaissance Fair
Enjoy the flavors of fall
As far as many are concerned, fall began this year in late August. Why? Because that was when Starbucks began to offer the seasonal favorite Pumpkin Spice Latte. #PSL But, even if pumpkin isn’t your thing, there are so many flavors and smells of the fall season that make you want to curl up in a fuzzy blanket with any hot beverage.
Try some of these tasty treats:
- Pumpkin Spice Latte (the OG) from Starbucks
- NEW Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew from Starbucks
- Apple Cider, hot or iced (or doughnuts)
- Candy Corn (hate it or love it?)
- Mexican hot cocoa (the secret is cinnamon)
- Toasted marshmallow or s’mores flavored anything! (personal favorite)
- Maple-bacon cupcakes
- Candy apples and caramel apples (or try salted caramel)
Make your home a fall sanctuary
You want to come home and have your home looking and smelling like the fall season. Here are a few simple ways you can decorate to do just that.
- Light a fall scented candle.
- Fall themed decor (pumpkin, harvest, leaves, etc.)
- Welcome mat and garden flag
- Kitchen towels and rug
- Guest bathroom towels and rug
- Throw pillows in the living room and on the beds
- Add a few (fake) pumpkin to the mantle piece.
- Create a fall bouquet for your dining table.
- Make a floral wreath for your front door.
Like this content and want more? Subscribe to Dock Line Magazine.
Dock Line Writing Team