- Kosher salt
- 2 9-ounce packages cheese tortellini
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the tortellini and cook as the label directs. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and cook, about 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin and nutmeg and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in the cream and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat to medium low; simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese and cook until thick.
Add the tortellini to the skillet and toss with the sauce, adding some of the reserved cooking water. Serve with more cheese and parsley.