Are You a Bird Brain?
Birds, birds, and more birds. They’re everywhere—well, almost everywhere. Guam may be the only place on earth where there are no birds. It is estimated that there are over 10,000 species of birds in the world and a total of 50 billion total wild birds! There are big birds, tiny birds, and birds of all colors. You can find them on land, on the water, from mountains to deserts. Some people are afraid of birds and that’s called ornithophobia. Some people like them so much that bird watching is their hobby.
With so many birds sharing our world, how much do you really know about them? Let’s test your knowledge. Challenge your spouse or significant other or get the kids to play. It’ll be fun!
1. What is the largest bird in the world?
2. Scientists believe that birds evolved from what creatures?
3. How many chambers does a bird’s heart have?
4. What creature kills as many as 4 billion birds in the USA
5. What do you get if you cross a male cat with a bird?____________________________________________
6. Which one of these birds doesn’t fly?
7. Which bird can kill a human?
8. Which bird’s eyes change color as they reach maturity?
b. Red-tailed hawk
9. Which bird is intelligent enough to create and use tools?
10. What is the most common bird in the world?
11. What do you call a bird who doesn’t know the lyrics to a song?
12. What is the only bird that can fly backwards?
b. Blue Jay
13. What bird can sing up to 200 songs?
b. Purple martin
c. Mourning dove
14. What is a group of owls called?
15. What is a duck’s favorite ballet?_____________________________________________
ANSWERS: 1. b 2. b 3. b 4. c 5. Peeping Tom 6. a 7. c 8. b 9. c 10. c 11. Hummingbird 12. a 13. a 14. b 15. The Nutquacker