Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 8 medium sweet potatoes (10-12 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola or sunflower oil
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- Fried baby kale leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prick sweet potatoes in 3 to 4 spots with a fork. Rub with oil and place on the prepared baking sheet. Roast until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees.
- Slice each sweet potato in half horizontally and scoop the flesh into a large bowl, leaving a generous 1/4-inch border in the skins. Place 12 of the prettiest skins back on the baking sheet. (Discard the remaining 4 skins.)
- Add 1/4 cup cheese, sour cream, syrup, salt, pepper and nutmeg to the sweet potato flesh and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Divide the filling among the skins. Top each with a little of the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the filling is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Garnish with fried baby kale leaves, if desired.