- 3/4 pounds bacon, cut into chunks
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 (16-ounce) bags dried cornbread stuffing mix
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 stick butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cook bacon in a heavy skillet until crisp. Turn heat down and add onions and celery; sauté until tender, about 6 minutes. Add the thyme and sage and sauté. Stir in pecans.
In a large bowl, add the cornbread mix, bacon and vegetables, and stir in the chicken broth. Add to a 13 X 9 X 2-inch casserole dish. Add butter slices to the top of the casserole and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes then remove foil and cook until top is crisp, approx. 15 more minutes.